Photo Challenge Week 4: Rule of Thirds

challenge
annie_leibovitz

(Chelsea T) #1

This week we challenge you to photograph using the Rule of Thirds.

The Rule of Thirds is often used as a helpful reference point for creating a pleasing photo composition. Think of dividing your photo into thirds with an imaginary grid, both horizontally and vertically. Then line up the most important elements of the photo so they are positioned along the grid lines or at the points of intersection.

Annie’s photograph of Roger Federer for the Disney Dream Portrait Series is a great example of the Rule of Thirds.

photo credit

Now take a look at the same photo with a grid so you can see how Annie’s subject is positioned along the grid line.

Take a photo using the Rule of Thirds and share with your classmates below!

(Chelsea T) #3

(Mary Grigat) #4

Okay. This assignment is giving me some problems. Perhaps because I’m not going wide enough. What’s the difference between the rule of thirds and negative space? And can I go in deep, or must I go wide? I realize there’s that third “space” implied, but compositionally I find this one challenging. Critique most welcome.

(Chelsea T) #5

Hi @Mary_Grigat. Thanks for sharing! When I think of the Rule of Thirds, I am thinking primarily about placement. For example, if you were at the beach taking a photograph of the horizon, you would place that horizontal ocean line on the top line or bottom line of your “grid” (rather then across the center of the frame). Or if you are taking a photo of a person, it often makes the photograph more interesting to place them to the left or right, rather than the dead center.

Of course, rules are made to be broken in art. But I think it is important for us to know the rules, so when we break them we do it with a real sense of purpose :blush:

I hope to see more submissions from everyone! So proud of all the work I have seen so far in the past 3 challenges. Please feel free to ask questions and help each other out so we can all continue to learn together.

(Mary Grigat) #6

Thanks, Chelsea! I believe I’m thinking about this too literally. I’m thinking of the subjects/objects being aligned, instead of the big picture and those thirds. Your explanation helps. Dare I venture out into the arctic air? For this, I will. Thank you.

Photo Challenge Week 3: Natural Habitat
(Chris Coughlan) #7

Using all of the thirds!

(Aviva Evron) #8

Annie’s work is so fantastic that it is kind of hard to post anything.
Anyway…

(Phyllis Deicher-Ladwig) #9

Week 4: Rule of Thirds
This dancer was rehearsing for a scene for an upcoming show. I was able to shoot using the rule of thirds. Let me know what your thoughts are.
Thanks.

(Aviva Evron) #10

Autoportrait some time ago. The background is a paint

ing made by my best friend.

(Thomas Elliott) #12

Myanmar

(BJ Kroppe) #13

(Mary Grigat) #14

Another attempt at thirds. Random victim, Cleveland Museum of Art.

(Bill Hamilton) #15

The subject could be more to the left, The composition explains the decision to go “Left Center”.

(Bill Hamilton) #16

Another example. This subject is a a bit left to make room for the person in the center of the image._DSC0756|690x459](upload://ymPQ5qE77XUONpzm5qtnamRV5Fz.jpg)

(Ruoqi Tang) #17

(Agus Arismunandar) #18

(Mary Beth Kratsas) #19

Rule of thirds

(Marisa Buhr) #20

I took a walkabout after work today, in Kaka’ako. To emphasise focus, I centered the subjects at the lower third of my ‘canvas’ in this photo. I’m loving how the negative space and bleeding in of the sun gives it an almost ethereal feeling, even with the urban landscape.

(Agus Arismunandar) #21

Well, this is more like a fourth …

(Sammie Saxon) #22

I dug through my more conceptual shoots looking for images for this assignment and It became apparent that a majority of my work avoids the grid lines. I found a few of my more recent photos that I was able to crop to fit. I’m actually finding that editing them to fit the grid lines gives them a better narrative.