Photo Challenge Week 19: Still Life

challenge
annie_leibovitz

(Chelsea T) #1

This week we challenge you to photograph still life.

This genre of photography focuses on inanimate objects, and often times a collection of objects. Unlike with landscape or portraiture, the photographer has more control over the composition when it comes to still life. Below is a colorful example of a still life from Annie’s Pilgrimage — the handmade pastel collection of Georgia O’Keeffe.

photo credit

Take a photo of a still life and share with your classmates below!

(Gabriele Quaroni) #2

Coffee time

(Gabriele Quaroni) #3

(Gabriele Quaroni) #4

(Damien Hoffman) #5

On the road with sisters:

(Damien Hoffman) #6

Would a version with color be better? This is a main question I have: when to go with BW or color? All tips are welcome! I’m a novice.

(Paula Reiber) #7

Hardly ever “still” - I was fortunate enough to have the camera in had when Cinder struck this pose.

(Michael Bertakis) #8

(Nikki Wolf) #9

This is a pic of my yarn bin. I wanted to include my grandparents in it… my grandmother was always so crafty, whether it be art, sewing, cooking, whatever. My grandfather was a veteran, which inspired me to follow in his footsteps and join the Air Force. Years later, I combined the elements of both of them when I taught myself to crochet so I could make blankets for the VA Hospital, Project Linus (for children in hospitals for traumatic injuries, being abandoned, or with terminal illnesses), and local homeless missions. This still life combines what I got from both of them, tied into one yarn bin.

(They just celebrated 76 years of marriage last November.)

(John German) #10

Dear Nikki_Wolf:

Your grandparents values knitted into your soul. Great concept to put within your still.

God Bless.

Fare-You-Well,

John German

(Nikki Wolf) #11

Thank you, John—I appreciate it when someone “gets” what I was going for!

:smile:

(John German) #12

Dear Nikki_Wolf:

Also, congrats on 76 years of marriage for your grandparents; The unconditional love between them is obviously tightly knit. Their faces and smiles are the remembrances of a young couple who just fell in love for 76 straight years.

God Bless.

Fare-You-Well,

John German

(Nikki Wolf) #13

Thank you, John!

That pic was taken to display at their 75th wedding anniversary back in 2016. It ended up being quite the shindig—local press came out for it.

Funny story… my mom pulled me aside from arranging the varous centerpieces, etc, and introduced me to this guy. He asked, “What are your thoughts on their being married a quarter of a century?”

“Well, in this day and age where divorce is more common than not, when you see a couple persevere like this, through good times and bad, it shows that people really can have their happily ever after.”

He then asked me to spell my name. Turns out he was from the local press. My quote was how he ended human interest piece in the paper.

(Paula Reiber) #14

Gram’s old Singer…

(Nikki Wolf) #15

Damien, I’m a total novice, too.

But I know what I like.

I preferred the black and white in this piece over the color. Color made it (in my opinion) more “every day”(almost just clutter).

But I was enamored with it in B&W, and it felt like there was a beautiful, heartbreaking story behind it.

Just my opinion, so take it or leave it. :smile:

(Barry Anbinder) #16

(Damien Hoffman) #17

Thank you, Nikki! I appreciate your feedback!

(Kreg ) #18

I vote for color. I think you loose some detail that just goes flat in B & W. As in the doll that just blends into the sheets. Barbie lives in a color world even though it appears she has had a rough time. The pink thing, red on the edge of the book and the blue card, to me adds. This is all lost in the B&W. But you know, you as the artist must decide what you like. A year from now you might chance your mind again.

(Kreg ) #19

Wonderful story added so much to the great post.

(Nikki Wolf) #20

Thank you, Kreg. I really appreciate it!