Photo Challenge Week 1: Complementary Colors

challenge
annie_leibovitz

(Chelsea T) #1

Welcome to our first photo challenge! This week we challenge you to photograph complementary colors.

A big part of photography is understanding color, and how colors can work together to evoke different emotions in a photograph. Complementary colors are colors that are directly opposite of each other on the color wheel, which can create high contrast. Here’s a quick cheat sheet in case you forgot!

RED - GREEN
BLUE - ORANGE
YELLOW - PURPLE

You can see how Annie used complementary colors when photographing actress, Jessica Chastain to make her orange hair really pop against the blue background & dress.

Take a photo using complementary colors and share with your classmates below!

(Cameron Rad) #3

(Judy Francis) #4

Here’s my take on complementary colors. I love movement in photography. I felt that this ballerina had just a lovely expression coupled with the calming sensation of blue. Hope you all like this!

(sabrina camaran) #5

sassyarte

(William Kenton Alexander) #6

William Kenton Alexander

(Bailey Flores) #7

(Laurie Anne King) #8

Playing on the complimentary colours of yellow and purple, slightly enhanced with curves. In the shadows some purple, orange - reds and greens.

(Marilyn Polignac) #9

Red and Green :slight_smile:

(peter vor friedrich) #10

one of my challenges

(Ingrid Hofstra) #11

GORGEOUS photo. The light + colors are really good.

(Ingrid Hofstra) #12

Chelsea, until when do I have to post a photo (ie when will the next challenge be up?)

(Band Industries) #13

nice! green & pink work well together here and give structure to the image.

(Jill Clark) #14

Red, green and a dash of Collie…

(Denise McCann) #15

Interesting the one thing I loved most was how Anna’s red hair looked against the green and yellow leaves!

(Chelsea T) #16

These photos are great everyone! Keep them coming!

@Ingrid_Hofstra I will be posting a new challenge once per week (every Thursday). I will post the Week 2 Challenge on Thursday, December 21st.

(Denise McCann) #17

Looking forward to it. Thanks Chelsea!

(Jeremy Carpenter) #18

(Nakisha Jackson) #19

(Frank Blackwell) #20

(Ingrid Hofstra) #21

Thanks, great! That’ll give me enough time. :slight_smile: